This is a great starter article for those delving down further into histamine and inflammation. I wish I could get my head around this stuff and come up with a treatment plan! If anyone knows a professional in Brisbane who can put all these pieces together for me that would be fantastic!
Hubby’s favourite dessert is apple pie so for his birthday I made an everything free apple pie, custard and ice cream. (Sorry to the Failsafe people it is moderate to high Sals).
It was categorised as a baking fail as the pastry was too crumbly and hard. I just used an old fashioned short crust pastry from my ancient cookbook. It really needs gluten to hold it together I think so you could play with Xantham or Guar Gum to replace it. I tend not to use these too much as they don’t sit well with me. Please feel free to comment if you have any tips to improve this.
I think I used nearly 2kg of apples as my pie dish is pretty huge. I first did 1kg but it was nowhere near enough. As with all my recipes they are not perfect and sometimes need a bit of a play.
- 1.5-2kg Apples stewed in a little filtered water with 1t cinnamon (omit cinnamon to reduce Sals but keep it in if you can). I have included a step by step pic for making the pastry from my cookbook if it helps.
Double quantity of short crust pastry
- 4c GF SR Flour
- 250g Nuttlex (ghee, butter if not DF)
- 4T Cold water
- Pinch salt
- Sift flour and salt into a BIG bowl. Cut the nuttlex in cubes and rub them into the flour.
- Add the water a bit at a time and mix through with a butter knife. (I actually used the water from the apples so this could have been some of the problem). It should be just wet enough to pull it together into a dough.
- Lightly kneed the dough on a floured board. The trick with pastry is to not play with it too much.
- Divide the dough in two – one for the base and a one for the lid
- Roll out the dough using firm quick strokes. As it is GF it will be really crumbly so take care!
- I roll the dough out on baking paper dusted with a bit of flour. This makes it easier to flip the dough into the pie dish.
- Place the base in the pie dish. Add stewed apples and put on the lid.
- Using a fork (or just your fingers) press the edges of the lid into the base. It doesn’t work as well with GF pastry as with normal wheat based pastry so just do your best.
- Brush the top of the pie with a bit of egg in milk (rice, almond, whatever you drink). If you can’t have egg just use the milk.
- Bake in a moderate oven for 20-30 mins.
Serve with Orgran custard and dairy free ice cream.
Someone said I should start a blog. I don’t know exactly what it is going to be about but I guess it will evolve over time?
I have a pretty crazy life and fucks me when I’m going to get time to write but maybe putting down my many life lessons may help someone else.
My blog will most likely contain subjects around health, parenting, allergies, food and recipes (even for those who don’t think they can eat anything!) and just an insight into the crazy world of Selena Ellen!
Sorry Mum there may be “Strong Language” and some viewers may find some content disturbing (though I can’t guarantee it)